Sunday, February 11, 2018

The History of Synth Pop (video documentary)



I had a vague awareness of synth pop groups like Depeche Mode, Joy Division, New Order, Human League, OMD when I was growing up. I loved the music but knew almost nothing about the bands and the context from which they emerged. This documentary locates them in the post-punk, Kraftwerk-influenced UK of the late 1970s and early 1980s. Highly recommended if songs from these groups give you a jolt of exuberant nostalgia :-)

Now that I'm older I really enjoy this kind of exploration, in which writers, artists, scientists, entrepreneurs reminisce about their youthful moments of creation and discovery. How did it look at the time? And now, in the fullness of life? All those moments, lost in time like tears in rain.

I watched Atomic Blonde on a recent flight and, other than one long fight scene near the end -- "Stoy! Stoy!" (pleading... Bang!), found it mostly forgettable. But the incredible 1980s soundtrack got me thinking about this music again...

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels